Free Projects

Make A Necklace As A Present

10:53 AM

I made a present last night. I am pretty sure that the recipient doesn't read this blog - so I'm going to go ahead and post it. This necklace is for my boyfriend's brother's fiance (what a mouthful). We can't make it to their engagement party, so I wanted to make her something special.


She is Buddhist, so I chose a nice copper Buddha pendant. I'm stoked any time I can play around with our Soft Flex Metallics beading wire. It makes everything look so pretty!


Materials: 
Soft Flex Metallics beading wire in copper color - .014/Fine
Soft Flex craft wire in brown - 20 gauge
Brown delicas
3mm and 4mm crystals
2x2mm copper crimp tubes
Magical crimping pliers
Regular crimping pliers
Cutters
Bead stoppers
Round nose pliers
Chain nose pliers
Wire whacker


I love mixing and matching different mediums. I used Soft Flex Craft Wire to create a chain on one side and a double strand of Soft Flex Metallics beading wire in copper color to weave on the other side.


This is my favorite part, I created my own toggle clasp (not a new concept - but I haven't done this in quite awhile). I didn't have any copper clasps on hand. So, I used the Soft Flex Craft Wire in brown. I created the toggle bar using my round nose pliers and chain nose pliers. I use the wire whacker to work harden it so that it won't easily pull out of shape. I chose to use the regular crimping pliers for the end. I prefer to just use the magical crimping pliers for embellishing: to anchor a bead in place on the wire, on earrings or dangles. I feel more secure using the regular crimping pliers where the clasp attaches. That part of the design really needs to be strong.

So that's that. Now, I need to make one like it for myself. I was thinking about maybe using my new resin pendant in a similar design. This might look better in the antique brass color of the Soft Flex Metallics beading wire line. 

 
Blog contributor Sara Oehler (the original SoftFlexGirl) is the Sales and Marketing Manager for Soft Flex Company. Find her on facebook or her blog. She'd love to hear from you! So, please feel free to leave comments or email her at Sara@SoftFlexCompany.com.

You Might Also Like

3 fabulous thoughts ...

  1. The necklace is so pretty! Kathy of Crafty Chica was talking about you and saying nice things so I had to come check things out. See you on Twitter and def know Soft Flex. Didn't know you guys carried vintage beads, this changes everything :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jennifer, thank you for the compliment! Kathy seems pretty wonderful. I was just up at my beading table making a similar necklace using my new resin pendant and our Soft Flex Metallics in antique brass. It turned out great, I'll post it tomorrow. For now, I need to find some dinner and try to relax my brain for the night! :)

    Hmmm...maybe after I check your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cannot wait to see your resin pendant--I am so fascinated by resin! and I love this piece! She will love it! The colors are wonderful, the feeling behind it is so loving and thoughtful!

    ps: coincidence: I just hand made a copper clasp, too and haven't done that for ages! :)

    ReplyDelete

Soft Flex Enews Sign Up

* indicates required
My customer type is

Followers