Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Holiday Presents


Over the past few years I have purchased more and more of my Christmas presents online unless they are a local or handmade treat.

Here is why I shop online:

#1 CONVENIENCE - It is convenient for me to purchase online as many of my present recipients do not live near by. My family is sprinkled through out the western end of the U.S. Even my co-workers are sprinkled through CA, CO, AZ & NM. When you buy online, you can almost always find a free shipping offer.

It is totally convenient to buy from my living room. I can comparison shop, check out consumer reports as I choose my items and I don't have to fight the crowds in the store. I was horrified to read about the man who was trampled in a Long Island Walmart on Black Friday. That isn't likely to happen in my living room.

#2 PRICE - Let's face it, there are GREAT deals online. If I buy my Mom's gift online, I can have it shipped directly to her. Since the shipping is often times free, I can get away with getting her gift delivered to her door step for no charge. That was not possible for me 5 or 10 years ago.

Here is why I like local favorites and handmade items:

#1 MEANINGFUL - I put my heart and soul into anything that I make. I really think about the recipient's likes and dislikes. I really worry over whether the red bead is right or if I should bake my famous ginger bread cookies instead of trying the new sugar cookie recipe that I just found. I love to print photos of a special moment and slide it into a holiday card. It is the little things that make for a meaningful present. And that is what makes my handmade gifts have so much more meaning than anything I could ever buy.

#2 MADE IN USA - Buying a local treat or buying products Made in the USA has a direct and necessary effect on our local economy. The more we all buy Made in the USA products, the more we give money to our brother and sister citizens. There are lots of local businesses that are really hurting this holiday season - so keep in mind your local bead store, local farmer's market or art festival for Christmas gifts. Look for a "Made in the USA" label.

Best wishes for a happy and meaningful holiday season!

1 comment:

Susan said...

I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.


Susan

http://www.car-insurance-choices.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...