Jamie Hogsett

Coralline and High Tide Necklaces

9:32 AM


Guest Blogger: Jamie Hogsett
Stringing magazine, Summer 2009



Since I stepped down as editor of Stringing a few years back, I've remained part of the magazine by doing all the technical editing for each issue. Recently, I've also been able to have some projects in the magazine, which is a much more fun way to be a part of an issue. In the Summer issue, I have two necklaces:

Coralline Necklace

This necklace was made on special request from Danielle Fox, editor of Stringing. She noticed the polka-dotted beads that I used in a project (a necklace called "Come to My Party") in my Create Jewelry: Glass book and asked that I use the same beads to make a necklace for a section called "Juicy Lampwork." With the help of Mike Sherman, owner of Soft Flex Company, I gathered together a lovely selection of pearls, coral, and other beads to go along with the glass. Of course, they're all strung on Coral Soft Flex Wire. Even though most of the wire is covered by beads, the small amount of Coral peeking out at the ends of the necklace really adds a gorgeous touch.

High Tide necklace

High Tide was also made on request. Danielle asked for a yellow piece and this is what I came up with. The focal piece was made by my friends at Green Girl Studios and is complemented with yellow quartz and CZs. It's difficult to see in the pictures, but I used 925 Silver Extreme wire to string the beads and also used strands of the wire to braid around the beads in the center section of the necklace. To me, the braided wire gives the idea of some of the tangled sea life growing underwater. It's a fun technique that I'll definitely try again.

The Summer issue of Stringing magazine is only on the newsstands for a few more days, so if you haven't had a chance to pick it up yet, do it fast. Soon, the Fall issue will be out with dozens of new projects to inspire you.

Jamie Hogsett is the Education Coordinator for Soft Flex Company. Contact her at
Jamie@SoftFlexCompany.com or via her blog at jamiehogsett.blogspot.com.

You Might Also Like

0 fabulous thoughts ...

Soft Flex Enews Sign Up

* indicates required
My customer type is

Followers