Jamie Hogsett

Victorian Lei in Beadwork Magazine

2:02 PM


Guest Blogger: Jamie Hogsett

Victorian Lei
Designer of the Year Project
Beadwork Magazine October/November 2009


As always, I was thrilled to get my copy of the newest Beadwork Magazine in the mail. This year it's been especially fun to get the magazine because I have the great honor of being one of four Designers of the Year! The other designers are Jean Campbell, Marcia DeCoster, and Lisa Kan. They're all amazing women, so you can see why I'm so thrilled to be in their company.

The Victorian Lei is my fifth project as Designer of the Year (aka DOY) and was made when I returned home from a family vacation to Hawaii in April. It was my first time to Hawaii and I loved everything about it. One of the things that really stood out to me was the fact that there are flowers everywhere and the air is always filled with the sweet smell of them. I was fortunate to receive a huge lei of orchid blossoms from a kind local and I will never forget its smell.

The Victorian Lei is a much smaller version of the leis I saw in Hawaii. The flowers (twenty-four of them in all) are size 11 seed beads stitched together with FireLine, doubled up, and connected with wire wrapped links of gun metal Artistic Wire, brass melon beads, and gorgeous aquamarine simple-cut stones. The FireLine, Soft Flex Craft Wire, and aquamarine are all from Soft Flex Company, of course!

This is a fun and quick project to make. Find complete step-by-step instructions in the October/November issue of Beadwork to make your very own. This project would be great in so many color combinations: tone on tone, or with more than three colors, or maybe in all purple. According to a report on the Today Show this morning, purple is super hot for fall. If you make one, I'd love to see it, so please pictures my way.

Jamie Hogsett is the Education Coordinator for Soft Flex Company. Contact her at Jamie@SoftFlexCompany.com or via her blog, jamiehogsett.blogspot.com.

You Might Also Like

0 fabulous thoughts ...

Soft Flex Enews Sign Up

* indicates required
My customer type is

Followers