Bead Embroidery

9:00 AM

As you all know, I'm a bead stringer. I dabble in resin, wigjigs, knitting, etc...but when it really comes down to it SoftFlexGirl strings beads on Soft Flex Wire. Josh's co-worker presented me with a project over my holiday break that was way out of my normal realm of beading. She had a lovely beaded belt that wasn't quite fitting the way that it once did (we've all been there). She really wanted to wear it to an upcoming wedding. I could blame her - this belt is gorgeous. It would be a real shame to keep it locked away in a closet or drawer somewhere. This belt needs get out and socialize! So I explained to her that I had never ever tackled a problem quite like this but that I was happy to give it my best try but was clear that I did not promise to come up with anything at all.

I immediately thought of a satin ribbon belt that I had hanging with all of my scarves in my bedroom. It had found its way there via some dress that I had bought years ago. For one reason or another, the long ribbon had never been used. I pulled the ribbon out and took a look at it. The shiny, delicate material seemed like a nice match. I cut a piece off and began to sew. I quickly learned that the delicateness of the material shredded easily if I didn't take care with my needle. I sewed a square rectangle shape that would fit the extra space of velcro. I located a piece of cardboard to slide inside the fabric to reinforce it and then I set out to do my very first bead embroidery around the edge. I realized quickly that this could take days if I tried to follow the same pattern on the belt. So I settled for a simple stitching around the edge to match the edges of the belt. All that was left to do was to sew up the 4th side and then adhere a bit of velcro on the back side.

Needless to say, I was quite pleased with myself and Josh's co-worker seemed quite pleased too. I'm so thankful to have the ability to create something out of nothing.

You Might Also Like

5 fabulous thoughts ...

  1. Beautiful! That's a skill I just do NOT have!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is exactly what I was thinking when I sat down to my first attempt. But, after getting the hang of it...I found it quite nice. I was thinking of using more of the fabric to make a bracelet or bib necklace for myself. We'll see. There are only so many hours in the day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice, darling! You did a fantastic job and that fabric blended perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hello


    Just saying hello while I read through the posts


    hopefully this is just what im looking for, looks like i have a lot to read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. pretty cool stuff here thank you!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Soft Flex Enews Sign Up

* indicates required
My customer type is

Followers