Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Jungle Fever project in Enchanted Adornments




Guest Blogger: Jamie Hogsett

Enchanted Adornments Inspiration Gallery: Jungle Fever


Many months ago, I was honored when Andrew Thornton invited me to make a piece for the gallery section of his sister Cynthia Thornton's book, Enchanted Adornments. The book has been out for a little while now and I just happened to unearth my copy last week when cleaning my office. I finally sat down to look through the book and I haven't been able to put it down since. Cynthia's drawings and stories are beautiful. The entire book is a work of art.



I've been fortunate to see several of Cynthia's jewelry designs over the years, via Stringing magazine, and I must say that the pieces she created for her book are the best yet. She has such an amazing sense of design, probably because she puts a little bit of magic in every piece. I've never with polymer clay and have only limited practice with PMC and resin, but Cynthia's book makes me want to try my hand at all of the techniques. Where will I ever find the time?


My own humble contribution to Cynthia's book is below. The polymer clay beads, made by the lovely Pam Wynn inspired the jungle theme. I used shrink plastic to make dozens of leaves and attached them to sterling silver flower links using natural brass jump rings. I strung the polymer clay beads, plastic leaves, and purple Czech glass beads on heavy Antique Brass Soft Flex wire.



Thank you, Cynthia and Andrew, for letting me be a part of such an amazing book! 

Jamie Hogsett is the Education Coordinator for Soft Flex Company. Contact her at Jamie@SoftFlexCompany.com or via her blog at jamiehogsett.blogspot.com.

2 comments:

Andrew Thornton said...

Thank you so much for your kind words! You're the best! Also, a big thank you for participating and adding another rich facet to what magical mixed media jewelry means. Very nice!

Glad to see that you were able to spend some time with the book. Can't wait to see you in Tucson!

Shaiha said...

What gorgeous necklace! I finally looked through ENCHANTED ADORNMENTS and so impressed. It has already gone onto my amazon wishlist

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...