Sara Hardin

The benefits of buying quality products!

9:00 AM

I've found over time that I do actually often get what I pay for.  In my younger years, I would choose an item by cosmetic appearance and price.  As I've matured, I've recognized that when I pay a little bit more for a quality product, I get far more use and longevity out of it.  In fact, over time I end up saving money and have a better item to boot.  A great example of this is purses.  Now that I can afford a quality purse and have had a quality purse, I realize just why it costs so much more.  They last!  The inexpensive purses of my youth were often short term trends and they started to fall apart the day that I started to use them.

You get what you pay for.

I approach my jewelry designs in much the same way.  I am willing to pay more for my parts and pieces especially the pieces that hold the design together - ie beading wire, crimps, clasps, etc.  I need to feel confident that my jewelry design will last.  A little bit more expense upfront could save designers time, energy and money of restringing later as well as their reputation so that they can accumulate repeat buyers.  When broken down, in an average design, paying a premium price for a product has a minimal affect on the final cost of a jewelry design but a major affect in the outcome and longevity of the design.

Here is how our wire cost breaks down for an average 16 inch necklace, for each diameter of wire that we offer.  This is based on retail pricing, wholesale pricing would obviously be more deeply discounted.
  • Soft Flex Beading Wire > Satin Silver > 21 strands / .014 > 30ft > $9.99 > $0.33/foot > $0.027/inch > 16in necklace = $0.44
  • Soft Flex Beading Wire > Satin Silver > 49 strands / .019> 30ft > $13.99 > $0.46/foot > $0.038/inch > 16in necklace = $0.62
  • Soft Flex Beading Wire > Satin Silver > 49 strands / .024> 30ft > $11.99 > $0.40/foot > $0.033/inch > 16in necklace = $0.53
Here is an example of how a competitor's product cost breaks down for that same size necklace.
  • Other Brand > Satin Silver > 21 strands / .014 > 30ft > $7.53 > $0.25/foot > $0.021/inch > 16in necklace = $0.33
  • Other Brand > Satin Silver > 49 strands / .019 > 30ft > $10.99 > $0.36/foot > $0.030/inch > 16in necklace = $0.49
  • Other Brand > Satin Silver > 49 strands / .024 > 30ft > $7.98 > $0.27/foot > $0.022/inch > 16in necklace = $0.35
And here is the price difference between the two brands of beading wire.
  • .014 > Soft Flex = $0.44 vs Other Brand = $0.33 > Difference = $0.11+
  • .019 > Soft Flex = $0.62 vs Other Brand = $0.49 > Difference = $0.13+
  • .024 > Soft Flex = $0.53 vs Other Brand = $0.35 > Difference = $0.18+
The difference of price is marginal per design. It breaks down to change in your pocketbook.  Now consider what it might cost  to restring a design because of wire breakage. 
  • .014 > Soft Flex = $0.44 vs Other Brand/Restrung = $0.66 > Difference = $0.22 savings
  • .019 > Soft Flex = $0.62 vs Other Brand/Restrung  = $0.98 > Difference = $0.36 savings
  • .024 > Soft Flex = $0.53 vs Other Brand/Restrung = $0.70 > Difference = $0.17 savings
Not to mention the awful feeling that comes with restringing a design.  That cost doesn't have a price that can be put on it, but I'm sure that costs more than a measly $.11-$.18 extra pennies that can be spent ahead of time to ensure that breakage doesn't occur.  If you cut corners on the basics, you will inevitably get what you pay for.   

After almost 11 years of working for Soft Flex Company, I am convinced that we make the best beading wire available. A few months ago, I got the extreme pleasure to visit with the HSN quality assurance team in Tampa, Florida.  After much research, they have come to the conclusion that jewelry designs strung on the appropriate diameter of Soft Flex break the least in their testing facility.  In fact, one vendor that switched brands has gone down to almost no returns at all.  At the end of the day, the HSN vendors that are using Soft Flex are saving money, even though their cost upfront might be a little higher.

You Might Also Like

0 fabulous thoughts ...

Soft Flex Enews Sign Up

* indicates required
My customer type is

Followers