Sara Hardin

Spring Cleaning and New Directions

9:00 AM

Spring at the Phoenix Desert Botanical Gardens - Chihuly Glass

Recently, I've been thinking long and hard about the direction of my blogs.  I wrote a few weeks back about splitting my personal blog - Sara and Josh with my professional blog - SoftFlexGirl.  Now that I've officially made the split, I want to make sure that I have a clear direction for both and some new goals to move them forward.

My personal blog chronicles my personal life with my boyfriend, my family, my friends, my dog, etc.  I look at this blog through a romantic lens.  I picture my future children scanning back decades to see when Josh and I first dated, our first home and our life as a young couple.  It is also a great way to keep friends and family up-to-date on what we are doing regularly.  My Mom lives several states away.  She reads our blog regularly.  In fact, I often call to tell her about my week and she says, "I know.  I already read that on your blog."  This was a little off-putting at first.  But now I realize how much more connected she is to our life, which is really nice.  Upon examination, I feel like this blog is on the correct track.  I love that it doesn't apply pressure on me to be there everyday, but enables me to have an outlet to talk about my life outside of beading.

The point of my professional blog is to inspire and share information about beading.  This blog has been a great outlet for sharing design elements and ideas, show updates, new products, promotions, giveaways.  I love Jamie's guest blog posts every Tuesday.  She has been a great contributor.  However upon examination, I realized that I'd also like to spend a little more time talking about the business aspect of beading life.  Working in the bead and craft industry, often means that we have to be a jack-of-all-trades.  Often each of us is the buyer, the designer, the marketer, the photographer, the packager, the graphic designer, etc.  In order to better meet this goal, I've invited our overly talented web graphic designer Kristen Fagan to contribute a guest blog post once a month about owning and running her own small business in addition to working for Soft Flex Company.  I am always inspired by her monthly meetup goals.  So often we let time slip away and without focus we miss out on getting the things done that move us forward.  I also realized that I've been getting a little lazy about posting real meaty, thoughtful blogs.  Instead, I've been showing designs by customers or free project ideas or tips....which are all very good things.  But, I'd like to challenge myself to write a really meaty blog (like this one) once a week.  Hold me accountable!

Now that we have 500 blog followers (unbelievable), I feel responsible for creating content that is interesting. I'd love to hear from you what your favorite types of posts are or what you would like to see more of in the future.  I set up a simple survey so that you can anonymously give me your feedback.  You are welcome to leave  your email in Question #5 if you'd like for me to know who you are or to respond to you.

Have you taken time to inventory your blog yet this Spring?  Do you have a specific direction...a mission statement of sorts?

You Might Also Like

0 fabulous thoughts ...

Soft Flex Enews Sign Up

* indicates required
My customer type is

Followers