Mike Sherman

Think BIG!

9:00 AM



Mike Sherman and Scott Clark
Fashion Institute of Technology - New York City, NY

So often in life, we are told that we can't do things.  The sky is not the limit and we need to settle on what is truly possible and stop living in fantasy land. I've been very fortunate to work for two gentlemen that just do not think in those terms.  Mike and Scott have always encouraged us to think BIG.  My team (I supervise 6 staff members) and I not only have a list of goals for this week, this month and this year but most of us have an ongoing "someday" list.  The "someday" list is sometimes full of things that seem totally impossible, big dreams and creative ideas that we don't have the time, energy or resources to tackle in the immediate future. But, what I have learned over the years is that by having items on a "someday" list, I'm more likely to spot an opportunity to make them happen then if I ignored the idea because it seemed to grandiose or too difficult.  By having that list, I can remind myself to shoot for the stars. While I'm on the subject, I would like to thank both Scott and Mike for always pushing us to want more, to not settle and to forget complacency altogether.  They both continuously inspire me and the entire Soft Flex family with their endless drive and limitless creativity.

Let me give you an example.  When we first decided to host our own show in New York City, I was given the extreme privilege to scout out a location for the show.  Would you believe that I actually toured Madison Square Garden as a possible contender for our little bead show?  Do you know why?  Because it might have worked, and it may still work someday.  We settled into a very nice hotel instead, but that doesn't mean that we didn't think BIG when we explored our options.  Now, we're about to celebrate our 5th anniversary of this show in October 2010 and it is located at FIT (Fashion Institute of Technology) which is practically as well known as Madison Square Garden but a better fit for our type of show.  The sky really is the limit, but only if you let yourself see past the horizon.

So the moral of the story is - THINK BIG!  Don't limit yourself to what is possible.  Always, always, always think BIGGER than what is possible.  Sometimes this will mean working outside of your comfort zone.  Sometimes it will mean learning all about something brand new and that might feel intimidating.  Sometimes you'll fall flat on your caboose and have to start all over again.  But if you challenge yourself to dream BIG, you'll be able to accomplish amazing things and open doors that you never knew existed.

How do you organize your goals?  Do you have short term, long term and someday goals too?

You Might Also Like

3 fabulous thoughts ...

  1. I have big and little goals. The little ones are nice to feel like I've made some progress towards the bigger goals without being big enough to be overwhelming.

    My big goal is to be a published novelist. I've broken that down into various novels, which have smaller goals on their own. Each stage of a novel is a good goal, with sub goals of writing X amount of words per week. Though the stages can be hard to transition between. I'm good with completing first drafts and am now stuck trying to get into a good pace with the revision stages.

    I would also like to sell my jewelry. That goal is more of a sell what I have fun making, so it's not as big as the novelist goal. Aiming to replace my day job income with my handcrafts would be a much bigger goal, but I'd be happy finding buyers for the pieces I will make to sell. My 'small' goal for this is to get all the tax related paperwork set so that I can sell at some point in the future.

    Congrats on the Soft Flex show being at FIT, that sounds exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How inspiring! Just one more reason I'm glad I use Softflex and only Softflex. Now it's time for me to go dig out my goal list and see if my goals are big enough! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Claire made a really great point. A big goal can sometimes be overwhelming, but if you break it down and focus on it bit by bit, it becomes a little more manageable. That is exactly what we did when we built our new website. It was an arduous but much needed task. Kristen and I just tackled it one step at a time.

    Carla, we're glad that you use Soft Flex too! :)

    ReplyDelete

Soft Flex Enews Sign Up

* indicates required
My customer type is

Followers