Jamie Hogsett

Floor Beads by Jamie Hogsett

11:35 AM


When I worked my first bead show as a Soft Flex Company employee, the girls taught me about floor beads. Floor beads are the beads left over on the show floor after most of the bead companies have packed up their booths and headed home. I just returned from BeadFest Philly where I was moonlighting with Heidi in the Lillypilly Designs booth. We were one of the last booths to finish tearing down and when Heidi left to take a load of our totes back to the hotel (our rental suv was too small to carry it all in one load), I roamed the floor in search of treasure (while keeping watch over the remaining totes, of course). I had close to an hour to look around and found a pretty spectacular stash of orphaned beads.


During the plane ride home yesterday, I looked through the haul and found some groups of things that seemed to work well together, including the beads above. I've never found more than just a dozen or so beads, let alone enough to make an entire project. A necklace had to be made!


Using only floor beads, plus five additional materials for stringing and finishing, this necklace was created. I used Soft Flex Craft Wire in 26 gauge Black to wrap the long red stick pearl, Soft Flex Craft Wire in 20 gauge Black to wrap the other pendant pieces, two gold-filled 2x3mm crimp tubes, four brass crimp covers, and Soft Flex Beading Wire .024 diameter in Black Onyx to string it all. Hmmm, I wonder when I can attend a clothing trade show in the hopes of finding a new outfit to wear with this? Somehow, I doubt "floor clothes" are as plentiful...




Guest blogger Jamie Hogsett is the Education Coordinator for Soft Flex Company. Contact her at Jamie@SoftFlexCompany.com.

You Might Also Like

4 fabulous thoughts ...

  1. That is hilarious! I never heard of such a thing, but then again, I have never done anything but shop at a bead show. You scored!
    Love the way it turned out.
    Enjoy the day!
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a lovely job with those floor beads! I use up my odd bits of beads making multi-strand necklaces of linen cord, beads every inch or so, knotted in place. I hope others will post here with their own ways of using these bits and pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great finds Jamie and even better design! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your kind comments Erin, Diana, and Sara! I'm thinking about redoing the clasp, as I'm not satisfied with it now. I'm still in shock at my luck with finding so many great beads!

    ReplyDelete

Soft Flex Enews Sign Up

* indicates required
My customer type is

Followers