Kristen Fagan

Building a Network of Support by Kristen Fagan

3:34 PM

Hi, my name is Kristen and I am a network groupie!  I love to seek out like minded people to connect, learn, share and grow with.  My world is so much more fun when I grow along with others.

Today, I wanted to share my favorite ways to network and how they have helped me build support and friendship in my life and work.  

Meetup.com – Meetup is the world's largest network of local groups. Meetup makes it easy for anyone to organize a local group or find one of the thousands of groups in local communities. I found this website 4 years ago looking to connect with other moms and have play dates with my children.  I now have a great network of mommy friends that I am very grateful for.  Aside from the mom’s group I have also been active with a group of crafters, volunteers, designers and yogi's through this site. 

The Meetup, Biz Goals – The Meetup is made up of entrepreneurs, artists and business owners that gather {electronically} each month to post our goals, our hopes and our dreams for our businesses. The philosophy behind this gathering is that by putting our goals out there for others to see helps keep us accountable, and on our path. Additionally, getting feedback from the others in the group and some needed "you can do its" can help to push us forward and get the things done that we know we need to do.  I have made some really great contacts within this community who have given me a wealth of knowledge, resources and support.  Plus, by sharing goals with one another you can see what others are up to and that can spark ideas for your own company you never dreamed of.    

Etsy Teams – Etsy Teams are groups of organized Etsy members who network, share skills, and promote their shops and Etsy together. Teams are Etsy’s biggest and most creative grassroots engine for support, networking and marketing. Being involved with a team is a great way to grasp a better understanding of all the Etsy can offer as well as have a network of people helping you succeed.  I found a group of local artisans that I meet with once a month, we brainstorm marketing ideas, share new products and help each other learn new skills. If you sell in the online marketplace Etsy, i recommend checking into Etsy teams and seeing if there is a team for you!

Creative Every Day Challenge – Leah started the Creative Every Day Challenge in 2008 to help infuse her life and lives of others with daily creativity. You can post about your creativity in whatever form you like, whether that be once a day, a few times a week, once a week, or once a month. This is a low pressure challenge, with the idea of bringing more creativity into our lives. It's a lot of fun!   Leah does an amazing job of inspiring us all month long based around an optional theme and for me the best part is hopping from blog to blog to see what other artists are busy creating for the challenge. 

Lastly, we can’t forget the importance of online social media when it comes to networking. I regularly use Facebook, Twitter and read blogs as a means of networking online. Networking helps you create more connections, raises your visibility, increases your self-confidence through support. In the long term, it will result in more business and social contacts.

Guest blogger Kristen Fagan is the Website Graphic Designer for Soft Flex Company. She also has her own blog and etsy shop.  She'd love to hear from you! So, please feel free to leave comments or email her at Kristen@SoftFlexCompany.com.

You Might Also Like

2 fabulous thoughts ...

  1. Yes, yes...you do love your groups. I have seen in person that it really does motivate you to move forward, always onward and upward. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sure do! Not every group is the perfect fit but you never know until you check into it. Some are golden! If anyone has a networking group they love please share :)

    ReplyDelete

Soft Flex Enews Sign Up

* indicates required
My customer type is

Followers