Spotlight on...Color by Margie Deeb - Integrate your background colors

9:00 AM


Integrate Your Background Colors
by Margie Deeb

I’ve had students tell me that they can successfully use any colors they want in a composition as long as they place them all on a black background. I’ve heard glass bead makers proclaim a white background to be the answer to any color dilemma. The common stance here is that a white or black background ties together all colors in question.
In some instances this will work. But relying on black or white to pull together your palette will not nurture your growth as an artist, and will inhibit you and your self expression (and bore you all the while). If you use this or any other color formula, in all likelihood you're leaning on it as a crutch to prop up a weakness or a fear.
I find it much more fun to choose background colors from a sense of purpose, so that the entire troupe of color works together, each augmenting the best in one another.

You Might Also Like

2 fabulous thoughts ...

  1. I agree that black or white or grey or beige can all be too blah for that "pop" of color to enhance the real jewel. I try to choose colors I am not comfortable with. Thanks for sharing your insight. Happy creating...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the background color can actually be quite important, more important that people think.

    ReplyDelete

Soft Flex Enews Sign Up

* indicates required
My customer type is

Followers