Tips

4 Tips For A Succesful Beading Class

11:47 AM


Over the years, I've taught lots of beading classes. I have learned a few things along the way that I think are important to remember if you plan to take a class. Many of these same things, I found myself repeating yesterday at Design and Adorn Beading Studio as I taught two full sized classes.I have to say, these two classes were amazing. The students were really patient, diligent and persevered. I was so pleased to see everyone walk away with new skills that I know will come in handy.

1. You must make sure that you can see. That may mean bringing glasses, extra light, a magnifier, etc. Beading is just impossible if you cannot see precisely what you are doing. I cannot stress this point enough because I've seen this happen so often. Beads are so small!

2. Stay on your own mat. I was discussing this philosophy with my co-worker Kristen earlier this week. She reminded me of how yoga teachers always encourage their students to stay on their own mat. In other words, don't get caught up in what the person next to you can or cannot do and just focus on what you are doing in the moment. This is very applicable to a beading class. One person might be really speedy at getting started while another needs more help, but that could flip flop later in the class. In this fast paced world, it can be easy to get caught up in doing something the quickest. But in this particular case, it should be more important to take your time and learn the skill even if you don't finish the project in class. Walking away with a firm grasp of the skill is what really matters.

3. Materials do matter. I am so accustomed to using Soft Flex materials to create, I forget that there are a lot of lower quality materials out there that do not work nearly as well. When given a supply list, check in with the instructor and see where to buy the same supplies that they plan to use in class. Taking a class that includes a full kit created by the teacher is always better - even if it is a little more expensive. This way, you know that you are getting products that will work.

4. Be patient with yourself, especially in the beginning. Learning a new skill is hard! So many people beat themselves up when they don't immediately pick up a new skill. The beginning of class is always the trickiest time because everyone is learning something new that they will use throughout the class. This is a time to practice your patience with yourself. You should be at least as patient with yourself as you would be with someone else who was learning something new. Once class gets going and the skill is learned, things get easier. The beginning is always the hardest part.

http://eepurl.com/bW_9zj


 
Blog contributor Sara Oehler (the original SoftFlexGirl) is the Sales and Marketing Manager for Soft Flex Company. Find her on facebook or her blog. She'd love to hear from you! So, please feel free to leave comments or email her at Sara@SoftFlexCompany.com.

You Might Also Like

0 fabulous thoughts ...

Soft Flex Enews Sign Up

* indicates required
My customer type is

Followers