Inspiration

3 Design Ideas From 1 Strand Of Tektite Beads

8:00 AM

The word tektite comes from the Greek word "tektos" which means molten, which perfectly fits this fabulous gemstone because they are believed to have been produced by the impact of meteorites on the earth's surface. Tektites are regarded as stones of luck in many cultures. Tektite is known for strengthening the aura. Meditating with tektite may bring deeper insights into current situations and many believe your ability to communicate telepathically will increase. Physically, Tektite is believed to enhance and accelerate healing from illness and injuries. When someone is ill, placing a tektite within their auric field can help to strengthen the body to fight off the illness.

I purchased this strand of Thailand Tektite gemstones because I loved the texture and the shape of the beads. My strand sat in my bead box for quite some time - as many beads do. I picked up a super cute geometric black and ivory dress this month. When I got home I realized that I didn't have any jewelry to match (oh the horror!) and set out to create something fun to go with it. That began a design whirlwind with my Tektite beads!


To create this necklace I started with .019 Medium Soft Flex Wire in Bone, strung a black spacer bead, a Tektite bead, another black spacer bead, round textured ivory colored resin bead and then repeated the pattern until I had 5 large Tektite beads and a spacer bead at each end. Lastly, I determined my desired necklace size, added a lobster clasp, crimped and trimmed my wire. (Note: You may decide you want to crimp each side at the end of the pattern to keep the necklace design in the center.)


I didn't stop there though, another neat feature of these beads is that one side is heavily textured and the flip side is polished smooth. I wanted to create a large statement necklace highlighting the graduated shapes and sizes and different textures of the strand. For this design I started with .019 Medium Extreme Wire in 925 Sterling Silver, strung 3 small silver metallic fire polished beads, followed by 2 silver heishi beads, then I strung the first Tektite bead polished side up, followed by 1 small silver metallic fire polished bead, the next Tektite bead was strung textured side up, I repeated this pattern until I was happy with the size and weight of the design. I ended up with 11 Tektite stones total. Then I strung 2 silver heishi beads and 3 small silver metallic fire polished beads to match the other side. Lastly, I determined my desired necklace size, added a toggle clasp, crimped and trimmed my wire.


This last design is smaller version of the previous, with the addition of braided wire instead of one strand. Braiding the Extreme wire gives it a textured rope feel, adds body to the wire and will make it a little more kink resistant. I also created a pair of loop earrings that can be worn with this design or the previous one.

For the necklace, I started with .019 Medium Extreme Wire in 925 Sterling Silver and strung the pattern of 1 small black bead, 3 small silver metallic fire polished beads, 1 small black bead, 3 small silver metallic fire polished beads, 2 silver heishi beads, then I strung the first Tektite bead polished side up, followed by 1 small silver metallic fire polished bead, the next Tektite bead was strung textured side up, I repeated this pattern until I had 5 Tektite beads, then I strung 2 silver heishi beads, 3 small silver metallic fire polished beads, 1 small black bead, 3 small silver metallic fire polished beads, 1 small black bead. To create the braided wire effect, I cut two pieces of wire about 24" each and crimped them to the original strand with a 2x2mm crimp tube on one side of the design. Then I braided the wires until it made about an 8.5" long braid and added a bead stopper to hold them together. I did the same on the other side. I figured out my desired length and used a 3x3mm crimp tube and mighty crimping pliers to attach a lobster clasp closure.

For the earrings, I strung 3 small silver metallic fire polished beads, 2 silver heishi beads, 1 Tektite bead, 2 silver heishi beads, 3 small silver metallic fire polished beads onto .019 Medium Extreme Wire in 925 Sterling Silver. I added a 2x2mm crimp tube to one side and looped the other end of the wire into the crimp creating a circle. I them crimped the crimp tube and attached an ear wire.

http://eepurl.com/bW_9zj


Kristen Fagan is a multi-passionate creative and a graphic designer for Soft Flex Company.
Her favorite stone is Turquoise and she can't bead without Bead Stoppers. Learn more about Kristen and her creative passions online at KristenFagan.com.  You may write to her at Kristen@SoftFlexCompany.com.

You Might Also Like

1 fabulous thoughts ...

  1. Stunning sets! I love the black and bone one.
    ~Kelsy
    http://loosendscraftblog.com

    ReplyDelete

Soft Flex Enews Sign Up

* indicates required
My customer type is

Followers