Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Knitted Bangle with Sea Glass & Pearls Design Idea

 

I am lover of texture so, knitted jewelry designs float my boat. After returning from a family vacation that included a day at the beach, I was inspired to combine knitted Fluorite Soft Flex Beading Wire with glass pearls and sea glass for a design fit for a beach goddess.


I used Fluorite Soft Flex Beading Wire and the 5-pin knitting spool to knit 6 1/4" length of knitted wire using Style 1 in the instructions for How to use the knitting spool (this is also the basic instructions that come with each spool). I left 2" of wire at the beginning of the knitted wire and once my length was complete, I cut the wire from the spool, leaving a 2" tail on the other side. 

Next, I dropped 6mm glass pearl beads inside the knitted wire cage unstrung and weaved the tail through the knit loops to close it up. You will now have a closed knit wire cage with a one strand wire tail coming out each end.

To finish the wire ends, I picked up some pewter cones from Antelope Beads. Pull the wire tail through the cone and string one 6mm pearl bead on top of the cone. Since the finished design will stretch, I chose not to use a clasp and instead I crimped each end of the knitted wire tails to a 5mm silver split ring using 2x2mm silver filled crimp tubes.


Lastly, I added a sea glass charm and wire wrapped a pearl bead to create a pretty dangle in the center of the design. The finished bangle stretches up to 8" and then springs back for perfect to fit over any wrist!


I shared a similar knitted bangle last summer using Red Jasper Soft Flex Beading Wire. To see my blog post about this design, click here.

Blog contributor Kristen Fagan is the Website Graphic Designer for Soft Flex Company. Find her on facebook, etsy or her blog.  She'd love to hear from you! So, please feel free to leave comments or email her at Kristen@SoftFlexCompany.com.

4 comments:

KayzKreationz said...

This is so cute. Could you do this with a knit from the 3 pin design? That is the one I have. I'd love to do something like this.

Sara Oehler said...

You can totally do it with a 3-pin. It would just be a little thinner!

Naomi Novella said...

Your work is amazing! I love the sea glass with pearls. So pretty.

Kristen (Creative Stash) said...

Hi Kay, you can do this with the 3, 4 or 5 pin spool. The beads you put inside would just be smaller for the 3 pin tube but technique the same. Thanks so much Naomi!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...