Free Projects

DIY Knitted Bangle With Sea Glass And Pearls In 3 Color Styles

1:45 PM

 

Last month I shared this Knitted Bangle with Sea Glass & Pearls design idea with you. It ended up being very popular across my social networks so, I set out to re-make the design in a few different colors. I had some pink and blue sea glass on hand in addition to the green I originally used so, that drove my color choices.  For these designs, I used Soft Flex Medium .019 Beading Wire in colors Tanzanite (shown), Fluorite and Pink Rhodochrosite and the 5-pin knitting spool. Today, I'm sharing step by step pictures of the Tanzanite bracelet.


Using Soft Flex .019 Tanzanite beading wire and the 5-pin knitting spool knit approximately 6" length of knitted wire directly from your wire spool using Style 1 in the instructions for How to use the knitting spool (this is also the basic instructions that come with each spool). Leave 2" of wire at the beginning of the knitted wire and once your length is complete, cut the wire from the spool, leaving a 2" tail on the other side. 


Once your knitted wire is approximately 6" in length, remove the knitted wire from the spool. One by one, drop (18) 6mm glass pearl beads inside the knitted wire cage unstrung.


Weave your wire tail through the knit loops to close it up. I go through the loops a few times to make sure the end is secure. You will now have a closed knit wire cage with a one strand wire tail coming out each end.


To finish the wire ends, string a cone on each side. (Pewter cones from Antelope Beads.) Pull the wire tail through the cone and string one 6mm pearl bead on top of the cone.


Since the finished design will stretch, you do not need a clasp. Instead, simply crimp each end of the knitted wire tails to a 5mm silver split ring using 2x2mm silver filled crimp tubes.


Lastly, I added a sea glass charm with wire wrapped a pearl bead and matching Czech glass bead from my bead stash to create a pretty dangle in the center of the design. The finished bangle stretches up to 8" and then springs back for perfect to fit over any wrist!


Here are the three color ways:


Tanzanite Soft Flex Beading Wire 


 Fluorite Soft Flex Beading Wire


Pink Rhodochrosite Soft Flex Beading Wire

Which color is your favorite?

http://eepurl.com/bW_9zj


Kristen Fagan is a multi-passionate creative and a graphic designer for Soft Flex Company.
Her favorite stone is Turquoise and she can't bead without Bead Stoppers. Learn more about Kristen and her creative passions online at KristenFagan.com.  You may write to her at Kristen@SoftFlexCompany.com.

You Might Also Like

2 fabulous thoughts ...

  1. Kristen, these are beautiful and when I first saw them, I thought they were Viking Wire Weave. This is something I'm learning to do in the medieval re-enactment group I'm a member of (SCA). I think trying your project as a modern twist of a medieval piece of jewelry would be pretty darned awesome if I can do it in the Viking style (love your color choices, btw.) Plus it would be pretty cool to include in my newsletter... In your experience, do you believe this can be done in the Viking Wire Weave style rather than using the spool method?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sarah, while the viking knit weave does look similar the issue I foresee lies in whether soft flex flexible beading wire will stay put on the dowel. On the knitting spool the pins help keep the wire in place. I have never tried to knit on a dowel in the traditional sense so it may be possible. I know our Soft Flex Craft Wire line, which is a wire working wire is able to be knitted in the traditional Viking Wire Weave sense. If you do give it a try on the dowel, please let me know if it works out for you. I'm glad you were inspired by this project!

    ReplyDelete

Soft Flex Enews Sign Up

* indicates required
My customer type is

Followers