Wednesday, November 6, 2013

DIY Christmas - Craft Wire Christmas Tree Ornament Made on the WigJig


This is a pretty common idea that I've seen floating around on Pinterest and thought that I would try it myself using a WigJig and Soft Flex Craft Wire. I didn't look at a particular post for instructions as I knew how I could create it in my own way, but if you want other options for this ornament, I suggest searching "wire tree ornament" on Pinterest.  While you are at it, click to like Soft Flex Company on Pinterest too!

I think that this could be really cute, not only on a tree, but also on a package as decoration.

Here is what you need:

When using a WigJig, you will make your first loop with your round nose pliers. Place the loop on the small metal peg. Guide the wire around the larger pegs in an "S" shape as you spin the WigJig. When you turn the jig and guide the wire, the jig will make lovely and fluid lines that can be repeated time and time again.


 

Don't forget the importance of work hardening a design after you pop it off of the WigJig. Work hardening your wire actually changes the molecular structure inside the wire. It is the process of manipulating the wire to lock in the design and stiffen the wire so that your design will stay in place.  This is a little trickier when there are beads to avoid. Thankfully in this design, I was able to let the beads fall to one side and pound on the other. Also, I straightened the wire with the nylon jaw pliers each time I made a turn on the WigJig. This offered straighter lines and extra work hardening.


Finally, I used the ornament hook pattern from Monday to make a matching hook in the peridot colored craft wire.


Blog contributor Sara Oehler (the original SoftFlexGirl) is the Marketing Manager for Soft Flex Company. Find her on facebook or her blog.  She'd love to hear from you! So, please feel free to leave comments or email her at Sara@SoftFlexCompany.com.

1 comment:

littlebitter said...

Thanks for the new idea. Never heard of wig-jig. Gotta find it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...