Inspiration

Why Bead?

12:45 PM


I made my first necklace when I was a teen. It was a simple wood and shell design. I found the beads for it at my grandmother's house. The necklace complemented my single pierced ear – I thought. It was simple. But it expressed a little bit about me.

It's funny that it started out like that for everybody.

Beads are one of the things that archaeologists look for when they excavate a site. Beads, cave paintings, figurines and such are all items which point to a shift for mankind. The beginning of establishing a cultural identity. The beginning of abstract thought and art. This is called "behavioral modernity".

Prior to cultural exploration, humans were hunters and gathers. Art lead us to education, philosophy and the appreciation of beauty.

Beads are so simple. They began as eggs or stones. They grew to denote status and wealth. They became a revolution.

I don't make the simple necklaces I did when I was a young man. I have grown and developed my understanding of jewelry design. I have incorporated many different stones and stringing methods into the pieces I wear now. I have diversified and explored.

Every journey begins with a single step.

Create your first necklace now.

http://eepurl.com/bW_9zj

Blog contributor Thomas Soles is the Trade Show Coordinator for Soft Flex Company. His favorite stones are Lapis and Pietersite. His favorite hobby is day dreaming. And his favorite mustache is Tom Selleck's. As you can see, he has a healthy (or possibly unhealthy) sense of humor. You can write to him at Thomas@SoftFlexCompany.com

You Might Also Like

0 fabulous thoughts ...

Soft Flex Enews Sign Up

* indicates required
My customer type is

Followers